Fayose chides Buhari’s over herdsmen attack in Benue

0
536

 

 Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose has condemned President Muhammadu Buhari over his continuous silence on perennial killings being carried out by suspected Fulani herdsmen in Benue.

Benue state gover, Mr Samuel Ortom had said about 20 people were killed by the herdsmen.

Fayose saddened by the incident questioned when Buhari will put an end to the killings.

In his tweets, he wrote, “I am deeply sad about the killings going on in Benue State.

“When will these killings by Fulani herdsmen stop?

“When is President Buhari going to act? Isn’t the silence of the President suggestive?” the governor’s tweeter handle reads.

Meanwhile President Buhari has condemned the killings, and wanton destruction of property in Guma and Logo Local Government Areas of the state.

Buhari, commiserated with the government and people of Benue over the reported killings, injury of several persons in Guma and Logo Local Government Areas of the state.

The president’s condolence message is contained in a statement issued by Malam Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, in Abuja.

President Buhari expressed immense sadness at the “wicked and callous” attacks on even innocent children.

He assured the governor and people of the state that relevant security agencies had been directed to do everything possible to arrest those behind the regrettable incidents and avert further attacks.

“This is one attack too many, and everything must be done to provide security for the people in our rural communities,” he said.

President Buhari also commiserated with families of the victims and wished the injured speedy healing.

At least 20 people were reported dead following  fresh attacks on Benue communities by suspected Fulani herdsmen after they invaded parts of the Guma and Logo Local Government Areas of the state on New Year’s Day.

However, the Benue state Police on Wednesday in Makurdi announced that eight herdsmen had been arrested in connection with New Year Day’s attacks on the communities.

The command’s Spokesman, Mr. Moses Yamu, said that the attacks were carried out between Dec. 31, 2017 and Jan. 1.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here