The Presidential Candidate of the People’s Democratic Party in the just concluded general election, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar suffered another defeat.
Since 1993, Atiku has been making frantic but unsuccessful efforts to become the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
1. In 1993, Atiku contested the Social Democratic Party (SDP) presidential primaries. He lost to Chief Moshood Abiola and Baba Gana Kingibe.
2. Again Atiku was the presidential candidate of the Action Congress in the 2007 presidential election. He came in third to Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua of the PDP and Muhammadu Buhari of the ANPP.
3. He contested the presidential primaries of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) during the 2011 presidential election losing out to incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.
4. In 2014, Atiku joined the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the 2015 presidential election. He contested the presidential primaries but lost to Muhammadu Buhari.
5. Alhaji Atiku Abubakar returned to the Peoples Democratic Party in 2017. He was the party’s presidential candidate during the 2019 presidential election but again lost to the incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari.
6. In May 2022, he was the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the February 25, 2023 general election after defeating Nyesom Wike, the Governor of Rivers State, in the primaries. However, he again lost to the candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
One cannot but salute his courage and persistence in the pursuit of any mission he sets his mind to pursue. Ppl